Engineers are innovative thinkers who come up with new and better ways to provide us with safe and energy-efficient homes. Energy efficiency refers to executing a task using the least possible amount of energy. Using energy wisely involves conserving and limiting the initial energy necessary to construct an engineered product or system, as well as planning its ongoing energy use to be as minimal as possible.
The design and engineering techniques applied in energy-efficient homes provide significant benefits. Engineers create energy-efficient solutions for buildings, homes, transportation, power systems, and industry to reduce energy use and costs.
Read this article to learn how engineering helps in building energy-efficient homes.
Engineering Energy Efficient Homes: A Smart Option!
- Smart Design: Smart design is the foundation of cost-effective zero-net energy houses. An engineer is well-versed in all of the energy-efficiency processes necessary in constructing a net zero home.
The house is planned so that builders and subcontractors can carry out these tasks as economically as possible. Thorough communication between the builder and designer guarantees that these crucial aspects are not overlooked.
- Building Envelope: The single most cost-effective measure builders can take to improve the energy efficiency of a zero-energy home is super-sealing the building envelope. There are several tried-and-true air-sealing methods available.
Engineers select an approach that relies on your climate and budget. They help builders and contractors understand the mechanism of the building envelope to discover major flaws in building structures to improve air sealing and create more building structures that are feasible and cost-effective in all environmental circumstances.
- Efficient HVAC system: Zero-energy homes have extremely energy efficient building shells and the use of high-efficiency HVAC and water heating equipment becomes the major source of energy expenditure in zero-energy homes.
Engineers in Surrey BC offer advanced HVAC design to be energy-efficient and user-friendly. They outperform prior models in terms of features, performance, and durability.
- Water Heating: Water heating is frequently the most expensive energy consumption in a home. Designers and builders choose and locate efficient water heating technology, as well as other methods, to reduce hot water consumption.
- Efficient Energy Model: During the design process, the energy use of the home is estimated using energy modeling software to guarantee that the objective of net zero energy can be met while keeping expenses low.
Based on the findings, design decisions are made or modified to balance building performance and cost.
- Energy-efficient Lighting: Energy-efficient lighting is required in energy-efficient homes! Engineers design zero-energy homes in such a way as to make the most of natural lighting. This includes properly positioned and oriented elements such as windows and skylights. Natural illumination reduces the demand for artificial lighting during the day while also making your house feel more pleasant.
For varied lighting preferences, you can get energy-efficient LEDs such as warm white, daylight, and cool white. Choosing the right LED is critical, and so is installing them in the correct locations!
Suitable Appliances: We all know that energy-efficient appliances can help homes save money and energy while also being more eco-friendly. Choosing the right appliances to save energy is an important element of the design process.
Windows and Doors: Windows and doors, which act as large energy holes in a well-insulated, airtight building envelope, are the third most cost-effective way to make a home more energy efficient. Engineers regulate heat loss and gain through windows and doors by selecting appropriate products, precisely placing them, and optimizing their size and orientation.
Benefits of Energy Efficient Homes
Durability: In comparison to traditional homes, net zero homes use more durable construction methods and materials. For instance, a zero-energy house has thick, insulated walls. Long-lasting doors and windows are also used for maximum energy efficiency. As a result, they require little upkeep and last for many years.
Noise Reduction: High levels of insulation, airtightness, and energy-efficient windows can all help to prevent unwanted outside noise. This is especially useful for homes built in congested or noisy areas, or for individuals who prefer peace.
Higher Comfort: A net zero home’s design, materials, building processes, and technologies create a healthy living environment for your family. Advanced ventilation systems enable you to enjoy clean and fresh air. Your home is also more open and has better natural lighting. The use of non-toxic building materials and air filtering allows for healthy living. You no longer have to be concerned about allergens or contaminants!
Environment-friendly: The goal of net zero homes is to utilize less energy generated by fossil fuels. You can help combat climate change by reducing or eliminating your carbon footprint. Zero energy homes also highlight the usage of renewable energy, which reduces greenhouse gas emissions even further.
Better Temperature Management: High insulation levels, airtight construction, and suitable ventilation keep air from entering or exiting the home, keeping it warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
Increased Resale Value: All of the features that distinguish zero-energy homes raise their resale value. You can recoup your investment and even profit when selling your house.
Lower Cost: Your energy bills will be decreased as a direct result of having an energy-efficient home. When you reduce your energy consumption, your utility bills should fall in line.
Are You Looking For Engineering Consulting Firm?
If you are looking for an Engineering Consultant in Surrey, BC, contact Voltas Engineering. We have highly skilled and experienced engineers who provide surveying, design, drafting, and management services. Our design team’s top priority is constantly creating designs that are energy efficient. Call us for the best engineering solution quotation.